Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Second Amendment

The Second Amendment! It says you have the right to bear arms, or the right to arm bears, whatever the hell you want to do!

~Robin Williams
So I did...

Early Saturday morning on March 31 (yes I am behind on blogging), Bear and I met up with friends Sandi, Mike, other Mike, Hilton, and Bruce for the Virginia Concealed Handguns Course. The Course was offered at the Mt. Hermon Fire Department.

Mike signs the roster

 
Sandi and Mike waiting for class to begin

My BFF "Bear"
(Robin Williams said I have the right to arm Bears... So I did!)

Mike and Hilton

We were shown many different weapons and holsters as well as ways to carry them. We were taught how to safely handle firearms. We were also taught the Virginia Code regarding weapons.

An array of weapons and cases

One of the holsters that we were shown (and got the biggest laugh) was a pouch that fits down the front of one's pants. One of the instructors swore by it, and showed it more than one time. Every time he held this holster up, as if it were a pair of underwear, the entire room burst into a roar of laughter:

A gun holster to fit over your gun!

Yes, our group can be immature at times. But that's what makes us such a fun group!

There's Bruce way in the back!

Instructors Creasey and Merricks from the Danville Police Department

Viewing Virginia Code

The course was four hours long and cost $50. When the course is completed, a Certificate of Completion is awarded to the participant. This certificate is needed in order to apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit in the state of Virginia.

The Application for the permit is an additional $50. Depending on where you live in Virginia, they may fingerprint and photograph you. I live in the county where fingerprinting and photographing is not required. I did, however, have to raise my right hand and affirm that all information on my application was true.


I have applied for my permit and am waiting it's arrival.

Do you carry concealed?

11 comments:

  1. Fred and I want to take this course, can you inbox me the info where to sign up for this class?

    Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS on your certification, girl!!!!

    Woot! Woot! Woot!

    It sounds like this class was extremely thorough in teaching you the proper and respectful way to handle firearms. I think it's great that you and your friends took the time to do this.

    And OMG, this made me LAUGH....

    "Every time he held this holster up, as if it were a pair of underwear, the entire room burst into a roar of laughter."

    Bwhahhahahahahaha! And that's exactly what that holster looks like...underwear (or a jock strap)!

    Have a faaaaaabulous Tuesday!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Deb!

    I looked on the internet for classes that are coming up but didn't find any. I will keep an eye out for you and let you know as soon as I hear of one. I know they also give them in Chatham sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Thank you! We had a great time in the class. You are right, they were very thorough in what they taught. It was interesting to see some of the laws as well as hearing stories about accidents that have happened.

    Even if you don't want to carry concealed, I recommend this course just for something to do on a weekend.

    Hope you are having a great week!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for checking and I look forward hearing from you regarding future class.

    Danville or Chatham is fine with me.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes i carry concealed each and every day. Have you decided what your choice of weapon will be? Do you shoot much now. Good luck, it's nice to feel more secure when you are out and about.

    Are you going to the wine festival here in Danville Saturday 28th?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A woman with a gun is a scary but sexy thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chic Genius,

      I could't agree more! I think "sexy" comes from self assurance. Confidence is as sexy as it gets!

      Delete
  8. Hello, anonymous!

    Right now I have my heart set on a Glock. I like the way it fits in my palm and love how light it is. It is perfect for a female whi wants to conceal in her purse.

    There is nothing that makes me feel as safe as a pistol at the ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, anonymous!

    Right now I have my heart set on a Glock. I like the way it fits in my palm and love how light it is. It is perfect for a female whi wants to conceal in her purse.

    There is nothing that makes me feel as safe as a pistol at the ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl, just wanted to pop by and say a quick Hello!

    Hope all is going well.

    If we don't speak via our blogs before then, have a WONDERFUL Memorial Day weekend! I'm sure you'll be going to the beach!

    Have fun!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete