Monday, February 13, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday MYFWBS Style

Happy Monday everyone!

I know the Super Bowl was over a week ago, but I am just getting around to blogging. Things at my house have been complete chaos! I have had one thing after another going on, but I am going to try to catch you all up. One of the things that kept me busy was re-organizing my kitchen. I had posted a picture of what my kitchen table looked like and had said that the kitchen HAD to be put back together before the Super Bowl. And it was!!! I did it!!! I have an organized kitchen!!!

I had left you guys before with a recipe for Cinnamon Cyan Brownies but wouldn't tell what else was on the menu for the Big Game. Now that the Eats are no longer a surprise to my guests, I can share with you what we had!

On the guest list: Stump, Bear, Sage, Brandon, and Susannah (and me!)

I decided to do the Super Bowl munchies in courses this year. In past years, I put out a buffet and my guests had over-done themselves before kickoff with no room for even a cracker. I developed a game plan.

Pre-Game (and to be left out for grazing during the game)

 Pre-game consisted of usual light hour devours. Cheese, crackers, veggies, nuts, chips, dips and beer. The beer was put on ice on the coffee table in the living room to keep anyone from having to leave the television in order to grab a beer from the kitchen refrigerator.

First Quarter
 
 The night before, I baked potatoes and refrigerated them. On game day, I split them, scooped out the potatoes, and filled them with cheddar and bacon. They were placed on a baking sheet and covered. At the end of the first quarter, all I had to do was pop them into the oven for a little while. These were served with both ranch dressing and sour cream.

Second Quarter
 The second quarter we had Mad Hatter wieners, which had been simmering on the stove top since just before the pre-game. All I had to do was use a slotted spoon to dish these into highball glasses. They were served with miniature silver forks (not pictured). The recipe for these is easy. I use on large jar of grape jelly and about 1/3 cup mustard. Just melt together, add cocktail sausages, and simmer. For sweeter sausages, use less mustard. For tangier sausages, use more mustard. These things never last! (They look black in the photo, but they are more of a dark reddish-brown)

Half time

For half time, I had meatballs simmering in the crock pot in tomato sauce. All I had to do was to fill the sub rolls with the meatballs, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top, and pop them in the oven for the cheese to melt and the sub rolls to get crispy and warm. They were served with potato chips and dip.

Third Quarter


For the third quarter, I had planned on having cheese sticks served with ranch and marinara sauce. The game went so swiftly this year though, that no one had room for the cheese sticks. I went straight for the Cinnamon Cyan Brownies and put those out last. This would serve as both the third and fourth quarter, and could be taken home to eat later (which some opted to do). Recipe HERE.

We had a great Super Bowl party, and I enjoyed having my favorite people surrounding me. What more can one ask for? A great game, my best friends, and wonderful food, all in one place.

Did you do anything for the Super Bowl?

4 comments:

  1. Dear mother, I do believe you neglected to mention precisely how stuffed we all were! The food was great, but you were killing us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, honey... It is my job as a mom, wife, and hostess to make sure you get enough to eat. I take that job seriously. Evidence is that none of us remotely look malnurished.

    Besides, if it wasn't good I doubt you would have made yourself miserable. By that I know you enjoyed.

    My job was done well ;)

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love your comments from son to mother. How FUNNY!!!

    And WOW....what a feast you had! I feel stuffed just from READING this post! OMG, those baked potatoes sound and look AMAZING!

    I love how you cleverly weaved this post into football quarters and half time!

    Hey, if I should ever come visit you one of these days, you have to promise me to cook up one of these scrumptious meals, and I PROMISE to do the dishes!

    Have a SUPER week, girl!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ron!

    If you liked the comments from son to mother, you should be around us when we aren't just commenting! Brandon and I have a fabulous relationship. I couldn't have gotten a better kid if I had ordered him from a catalog!

    Not if... but WHEN I do come to visit, I would be more than happy to cook up something for you! I love cooking and entertaining, and I especially enjoy making sure the people that I care about are well fed (as I am sure you can tell).

    Have a great week!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete