Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How To Clean Your Diamond Jewelry

Last month, I reorganized my kitchen. Once things are clean and in order, it makes me want to clean and organize even more.

My diamond rings are one of the things that needed attention.

After a while, rings need a deep cleaning. A soak in a commercial jewelry cleaner is fine from time to time, but inside those crevices can get really disgusting and let's face it, the jewelry cleaner just doesn't cut it.

Sure, I could have just gone to the jewelry store and have them clean my rings, but having a little momentum built from my reorganization efforts, I decided to clean them myself.

This is what I did to clean my rings:

1. Get a small pot of water and put a few drops of dish washing liquid (I used Dawn) in the pot.
2. Place a strainer on top of the pot and place your rings inside the strainer. This will keep the rings off of the bottom of the pot and away from the intense heat of the burner.

3. Bring the pot of water to a boil. ***Do not put rings in after the water is boiling. Be sure to put them in when the water is still cold. The diamonds need to heat gradually so that they don't crack.

4. Carefully remove the rings from the water and use and old toothbrush to loosen the dirt and oils from the crevices. Rinse in warm water. *DO NOT put rings directly in cold water from the boiling water. This could crack the diamonds. Allow to cool a bit on their own.

5. If dirt and oils still remain on the rings, repeat the process of boiling, brushing, and rinsing.

6. Dry with a paper towel

7. Finish by spraying a paper towel with window cleaner and rubbing onto the rings to get the last of the remaining oils from the diamonds and to bring the rings to a shine.

Please do not use this method on other softer stones as it could permanently damage them.

Here is the end result:

This method cleaned my rings just as well if not better than the jewelry store could have cleaned them. Easy peasy and not a lot of mess.

Do you have any quick little DIY tips to share?

3 comments:

  1. Excellently explained tip on cleaning jewelry!

    And WOW....your rings look AWESOME! They SHINE!!!!

    Btw, I also use Dawn dish soap!

    Happy Wednesday, girl!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ron!

    I wish I had taken a "before" picture. Those things get really gross :P

    Dawn dish soap is the best!

    Happy Wednesday!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an ingenious and affordable way to clean your most precious rings. You can also use a window cleaner if you don't have dishwashing liquid. Or if you are in a hurry, you can also soak it in isopropyl alcohol and scrub it with a small brush. And then, rinse it again with alcohol and wipe it dry with facial tissue.

    ReplyDelete