Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hickory Hill Vineyard and Winery - Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Happy Wednesday, friends!

I wanted to post this on Monday but my internet connection and I haven't been quite seeing eye to eye. My apologies to those who texted me asking "Where's your blog today?!?" (You know who you are.)

Long time friends, Billy and Sandi, invited us up to Smith Mountain Lake for this past weekend. We arrived on Saturday just before noon. They had planned an outing for us; wine tasting in the Smith Mountain Lake area.

We drove only a few minutes from where we were staying and found this charming old farmhouse.


We stopped for a quick photo underneath an archway on the sidewalk.


On entering the house, there was a small room with stairs and lots of wine inspired decor.


The gift shop had the cutest things! I could really have gotten myself in trouble, but decided to save my cash for what was really important - wine.




This wine rack caught my eye immediately when I entered the tasting room. I could use this at my house!


Above the wine rack were shelves. The shelves displayed their award-winning wines.


A man named Donald welcomed us and began the wine tasting. He was very knowledgeable about the wines and was a pleasure to be around.


Billy and his wife, Sandy, waited as Donald uncorked the wines and splashed a bit in our glasses.



I tried every one of their wines including the reds, which I generally don't enjoy. I have always been a white wine person. I did, however, enjoy all of their reds. I left the winery with three bottles of "Country Red".

There is a lot more information as well as history and tons of photos on their website.

If you are in the Smith Mountain Lake area and have time, pop over to Hickory Hill Vineyard & Winery. I know that you will enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, first I have to say that that house is utterly charming! And you're right....I could have really gotten myself into a lot of trouble in the gift shop too.

    And the WINE! OMG...I would have gone insane buying a several bottles myself. The thing I love about wine are the bottles themselves, because half the time I'll try a new wine just because I like the bottle - HA!

    " I left the winery with three bottles of "Country Red"."

    So glad to hear you tried the reds because I love red wine. I started out drinking white wine, but then switched to red for some reason and ended up liking it better.

    Btw, you look faaaaaaabulous in that white coat, scarf and red purse. You GO, girl!

    Thanks for sharing your day. Have a great week!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great winery and a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Ron!

    We had the most fabulous time! Isn't that house the best!?!

    I just never have been a "reds" person at all. I hate it too. I love all types of white wine but I suppose I just never found a red that worked for me. Their Country Red did! Now I have something that I can drink with steaks :)

    I hope your week is going wonderfully! Thanks for popping in!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Anonymous!

    It doesn't get any better than that!

    Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete