Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tomahawk Mill Winery - Earl of Chatham Mead

On Saturday my son Brandon and his girlfriend Susannah went to Tomahawk Mill Winery in Chatham, VA. The winery isn't far from our house; only about a twenty minute drive off of HWY 29 in Chatham. They did the wine tour and Brandon brought home a bottle of  Earl of Chatham mead.


His particular interest in the winery was to sample the mead. He is in the process of making his own first batch of mead and wanted to see what theirs tasted like to compare to his. His will be another 5-6 months before it is ready. I will be sure to post about that when the time comes.

On Sunday night, Brandon and I got to sample said mead along with a slice of cheesecake.

 Earl of Chatham mead

 A closer look at the label

 We had delicious cheesecake for dessert

Earl of Chatham mead

Mead is a sweet wine made from honey. You can distinctly taste the honey in this mead. When enjoyed with the cheesecake, the honey flavor is enhanced. It was really good. 
Brandon was told while on the tour, that this wine was served as a dessert wine or as an aperitif. He was also told that mead added to coffee was good as well. When I finished this post, we had not yet tried it in the coffee, but plan to later this evening.

Tomahawk Mill Winery is set in an old grist mill build by a Confederate veteran, James Anderson. It was sold and has become a vineyard and winery.  My husband and I visited them several years ago and had a wonderful time on their tour. If you are ever in the area, stop by the winery for a tour and tasting. 

It's really easy to find!


Oh, and give me a shout out and let me know you're here! I would love to accompany you!

No comments:

Post a Comment