Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The First Night of Hanukkah

This week, I am trading in my pearls (without which I never leave the house) for my Star of David pendant.

 Excuse this horrid photo, I had to take it without the flash, because with the flash you couldn't see it at all!

This is a different Star of David than what many are used to seeing. This is the Star of David embracing the Christian cross.



As I said in an earlier post, at my house we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. There is a Christmas tree, several Nativity scenes, and two Menorahs in my living room.

Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah. Would you like to celebrate with me? It is really easy! The menorah is lit at sundown, preferably when all members of the house are present. A blessing is said each night as each of the candles are lit. The middle candle is the Shamash (helper or servant) and is used to light the other eight candles.

The first night, the lit menorah looks like this:



As the first candle is lit, the following words are spoken:

English translation:

Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe, Who sanctified us by His commandments, and has commanded us to kindle the lights of Hanukkah.

The candles should burn at least 30 minutes each night.

What to serve on the first night of Hanukkah?  Food fried in olive oil. Potato cakes, potato latkes (pancakes), and fried breads.



Potato Latkes


2 lbs potatoes
2 large eggs
salt
oil for frying


Peel and finely grate the potatoes. Put them straight into cold water, then drain and squeeze them as dry as you can by pressing them with your hands in a colander. This is to remove the starchy liquid, which could make the latkes soggy.


Beat the eggs lightly with salt, add to the potatoes, and stir well. Cover the bottom of a frying pan with oil and heat. Take serving-spoonfuls, or as much as 1/4 cup of the mixture and drop into the hot oil. Flatten a little, and lower the heat so that the cakes cook through evenly. When one side is brown, turn over and brown the other side.

Lift out and serve very hot


If you are interested in the other seven days of Hanukkah, see my other page HERE.

*Special thanks to my bestie, Sage, for helping me grate the potatoes. My arm was KILLING me :) I should really invest in a food processor.

6 comments:

  1. (stopping by from Vent)......LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the necklace! How fortunate to celebrate the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Bijoux!

    Don't you just ADORE Ron?!?

    Thank you, and thanks for popping in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! Seems very easy & fail proof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how they turn out, Will!

    ReplyDelete