Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas, Haunukkah, and Strawberry Shortcake

Saturday night, I asked Sage over to assist with wrapping Christmas presents. I usually try to get my gifts wrapped as I bring them into the house. This year I have been too distracted to stay on top of this task and they had begun to pile up on my love seat.


One thing about my friends is that all of them are willing to pitch in and help whenever I need them. Sage came right over and got to work. He did a great job!

One of the many packages Sage helped me with.

I don't know if I'm considered tacky or "green" conscious, but I save any old kind of box for my gifts. This Ziploc box is really sturdy. It contained 4 regular sized boxes. I can't be the only one who does this.


The following gift bag is from my husband to my mother. Isn't the packaging just adorbs? We celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah at my house. How many people do you know who actually have a Christmas tree AND a menorah?


The reason I am sharing this gift with you is because of its contents. Behold what is inside this beautiful Hanukkah bag:

Yes, those are canned strawberries.

This can of strawberries has been around since the 90's. 

My husband was always after for my mother to make strawberry short cake for him. Mom and I were cruising the aisles at a dollar store when mom spies these canned strawberries on the shelf. She picked up two cans and sent me home with both cans along with some cake and whipped cream. I went home and put the cake into a bowl, opened the can, and without even looking at the contents, dumped them onto the cake.

To my horror, the strawberries in the can were PURE WHITE. I have never seen anything so gross looking fresh out of a can before. I told Stump that mom had sent not one, but TWO of the canned berries to him. 

His response? "I'm wrapping up that other can and giving them to her for Christmas".

And he did.

Mom got the biggest laugh out of her present that year.

A year went by, and it was Christmas all over again. We had the family over to our house as we always do. When it was time to open presents, my mother gave Stump several packages to open. Among those packages,  guess what was inside one? Yes, the same damn can of strawberries.
It has sort of became a tradition. One will give the other the can of strawberries. It isn't always predictable either. One year my husband stole the can from mom's take home loot after Christmas festivities were done. She call me, panicked, the following November. She was afraid that she had lost the "special" can. I played dumb, of course, and she received the can two years in a row.

They started writing the date on the can after several years of it going back and forth. This is the best picture of the lid that I could get. Santa needs to bring me a better camera :)


That is some of the holiday preparations that go on at my house. Complete with a little craziness.
Do you have any crazy traditions?

6 comments:

  1. That story is just too funny! Thank you for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, PGMW!

    We definately get a kick out of it. Every year we try to find a way to put a twist on it!

    Thanks for popping in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what FUN that must have been!

    And BRAVO to Sage for such GREAT wrappings! He did an awesome job!

    When I was growing up we had many Jewish friends, therefore they/we celebrated BOTH holidays. In fact, one of my aunts had a Christmas tree AND a Hanukkah tree in her house!

    HILARIOUS story about the canned strawberries!

    And yes, our family a Christmas tradition where we would always open one present on Christmas Eve, and save the rest for Christmas morning.

    Hope you had a faaaaaaaabulous day, girl!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day that can is going to get a hole in it! and it's going to be NASTY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ron!

    We did have a great time wrapping presents. Followed by wine and Christmas movies of course.

    When I was young we also got to unwrap one gift. We now have the celebration dinner at my house on Christmas eve and open them all with the entire family.

    I had a great day, thank you. Hope you did too!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrienne,

    I laughed til I hurt when I read that. The back of the can is beginning to show signs. It wont be long.

    ReplyDelete