Monday, November 28, 2011

A Quiet Thanksgiving With Family

 For Thanksgiving, Stump and I spent a quiet afternoon at my Aunt Mickey and Uncle Philip's house. Thanksgivings there used to be anything but simple or quiet. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents filled the home and the sounds of children playing, women chatting, and the men discussing hunting or politics assured there would not be a quiet moment.

Grandparents have passed on, children have grown up, and cousins have other places to be. My own son abandoned us this year to spend Thanksgiving with his girlfriend. One thing that definitely never changes is change. What we did have this year was a relaxing quality day filled with love, fellowship, and good food.


 Me with my sister, Adrienne

It seemed that even the dogs abandoned us this Thanksgiving. My uncle had put out a wiener, but it sat untouched while we were inside eating. My sister decided that maybe it needed to be "cooked". Being the nut she is, she pulled out her trusty lighter and attempted a wiener roast right there.

 Sister Adrienne "heating things up"

We enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine, a few snacks, and the wonderful weather outside. It was too beautiful a day to stay cooped up in the house. We spent quite a bit of time on the carport.

 Uncle Philip with sister Adrienne

My sister's son, Layne, was the only child there this year. He is growing up so quickly I have to wonder how long it will be before he is spending his Thanksgivings elsewhere. For now though, he spends it with us.


 Sister Adrienne kisses her son, Layne

Stump isn't quite used to these quiet, laid back days. He had a few glasses of wine, but what I really think he wanted was a six pack of beer. He also wanted my camera out of his face.

 Stump giving me "that look"

 My lovely mother, Doris

 Aunt Mickey, the fashionista

 My handsome dad, Ralph

We had a wonderful time. The food was amazing. I didn't get pictures of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, or deviled eggs because by the time I thought about it, we had finished eating. I did get a shot of my aunt's Black Forest Cake - with several pieces missing.


I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautifully expressed post, girl!

    As I was reading your words, I could actually feel the peaceful and quiet day you shared with your family.

    And really, isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? Quietly reflecting on all the wonderful things we have to be grateful for.

    What a handsome-looking family you have! I LOVE the photo of Aunt Mickey, the fashionista! She looks like so much fun. And the photos of your mom and dad are wonderful. They look like such lovely people.

    And OMG...that Black Forest cake looks BEYOND yummy!

    I too spent a quiet Thanksgiving Day. I spoke with my mother and brother on the phone, and also with a close and dear friend in Florida. I had really nice, quiet, and peaceful day!

    Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    Have a great week!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ron,

    I'm so sorry it took me forever to respond to this comment. My life has been stupid busy the past few days. I haven't had time to blog any until tonight.

    Aren't the quiet, peaceful times just the best? Life is so hectic. We are always in a rush to go here and get there to do this or that. Decompression time is priceless.

    Thank you again for the compliments. You are so wonderful!

    (((huggs)))

    d.

    ReplyDelete