Monday, November 7, 2011

A Corner Set Aside - My Family

This is one of the end tables in my living room. I have a small corner set aside for old family portraits and photographs. This little piece of my home makes me smile every time I look at it. It gives me a certain comfort. It feels "warm" and loving to me. 


The old photos are framed in natural materials. The frames are metal or wood and all have glass panes. Plastic just doesn't cut it.
Please stay for a "tour" of my end table:
 (My father and my late aunt)

The above photo was taken at the Danville Airport and this plane belonged to my late uncle, Paul, who owned General Aviation. This has now been passed to his son, Mike. Read more about that HERE.


The above picture is of my great, great grandparents on my father's side and is among the oldest photos that I have. I'm not sure what year this was taken. Does anyone know the model of that carriage?


This photo is of my mother (center) and her two cousins. It was taken in the middle 1940s.


 The well dressed couple above are my father's parents. They are also standing in front of an airplane at the Danville airport. Again, I'm not sure of the year. 


The woman pictured above is my great grandmother on my father's side. This photo is my favorite of them all because of the haunting feeling I have always gotten when I look at it. In some odd way I find myself "relating" to her. Her face, although pretty, shows the wear and stress of the life of a hard working woman before there was the luxury of automatic dishwashers, washing machines, and the like. I have often imagined her in her worn boots cutting wood for the cook stove. I sometimes come home from work tired and aggrivated with what women have to endure. When I look at this picture, I can almost hear her telling me that she knows well what being a working woman is all about. She, of course, had it much harder than I. It makes me smile.


 This gentleman is my great grandfather on my father's side. No date on this one either.


The above child is my mother in the 1940s. Her face looks almost exactly like mine and my sister's when we were that age.


Also on the table is a small photo album. This album contains more old photographs from the Harvey/Stevens side of the family.


 I love this photo of my great grandfather and his offspring. Great grandfather is the one seated near the left with the boy in his lap. Again, no way to date this photo.


The above is a better view of the earlier picture of my grandparents. You can see the plane better in this one.

 The next two photos are of the house that my grandfather built by himself. He would get off work in the evenings and walk a few miles to the construction site. Every bit of this house was made with his own two hands. Grandfather lived their until his death in the late 1980s.



 I have the album separated into the two sides of my father's family.



The above is my great grandfather (right) and my grandfather (left) on the day that he asked for my grandmother's hand in marriage.


Above is my grandmother (left) and not sure who the other woman in the picture is. This was taken at Lover's Leap in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Date uncertain.


My father, grandfather, grandmother, and my cousin (the baby) at the family's grave site.

I hope that you enjoyed looking through these pictures. I may bring another installment. I have an entire picture window with a sill full of the more modern family pictures.

We all grow up with the weight of history on us.  Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies.  ~Shirley Abbott

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your corner set aside!

    And yes, even from just looking at your photos, I can FEEL all the warmth and love.

    I adore the look of vintage photographs - even if I don't know who the people in them, because it makes me wonder who they are and what kind of life they lived back then.

    And I have to agree with you in saying that the photo of your grandmother is my favorite too. And for the reason you listed - it's got a beautiful haunting feeling to it. You can actually see her soul through her eyes!

    Thanks so much for sharing this post, girl. TOTALLY enjoyed!

    "We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies. ~Shirley Abbott"

    LOVED that!

    Happy Monday, and have a great week!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ron!

    I'm late commenting back because of a million and one things going on yesterday. Hope you will forgive!

    You are exactly right about vintage photographs. It does make one ponder how life was. And sometimes you can even see if they had a hard life or a relatively easy one in their faces.

    Always glad to see you!

    (((huggs)))

    ReplyDelete