Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Where Has Patriotism Gone?

Photo from HERE

On yesterday's post, I wrote about going to the Danville-Pittsylvania County fair. Part of the trip to the fair involved watching my nephew, Jacob, in the Demolition Derby. Just as with a NASCAR race, a football game, a baseball game, or any other sport, The National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner) was played.

From the time that I was a young child, I was taught proper protocol. I learned to say "yes ma'am" and "no sir". I was taught not to talk with my mouth full. I was shown how to write thank you notes.

I was also taught that when The National Anthem is played, that I was to stand up, face the flag, and place my right hand over my heart. This was not done just to give us kids something to do, but as an outward symbol of respect to our country, the United States of America. It is done in remembrance of those who have fought and died for her. It is not taken lightly by me nor by my family.

As the National Anthem played, I was already standing, but I faced our flag, Old Glory, and placed my hand over my heart, as did my husband. What I observed around me really saddened me though. At least 75% of the audience in attendance were talking, joking, and laughing. Some didn't even bother to stand. When all this was over with, I told my husband, an Army veteran, that this was something that I was definitely going to blog. He agreed that I should. Right now, I am very disappointed in my neighbors and fellow Americans.

I pulled the U.S. code from the House website. I have left the link, as well as a quote, that describes proper protocol when The National Anthem is played. I am hoping it is from lack of education that these protocols are being ignored. I am also hoping that this blog will bring attention to the proper way one should act when The National Anthem is played.


http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/36C3.txt

-STATUTE-


(a) Designation. - The composition consisting of the words and

music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing. - During a rendition of the national

anthem -

(1) when the flag is displayed -

(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at

the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until

the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present

but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner

provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand

at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not

in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with

their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand

being over the heart; and



(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face

toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the

flag were displayed.



-SOURCE-

(Pub. L. 105-225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263; Pub. L. 110-417,

[div. A], title V, Sec. 595, Oct. 14, 2008, 122 Stat. 4475.)



AMENDMENTS


2008 - Subsec. (b)(1)(A) to (C). Pub. L. 110-417 added subpars.

(A) to (C) and struck out former subpars. (A) to (C) which read as

follows:

"(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at

attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

"(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their

right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand

being over the heart; and

"(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at

the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the

last note; and".



-End-

2 comments:

  1. *three cheers*

    A HUGE brava to you for sharing this post!

    "It is done in remembrance of those who have fought and died for her. It is not taken lightly by me nor by my family."

    AMEN!

    As I was reading your words...."At least 75% of the audience in attendance were talking, joking, and laughing. Some didn't even bother to stand."....it saddened me too because I've often seen this myself.

    "From the time that I was a young child, I was taught proper protocol. I learned to say "yes ma'am" and "no sir". I was taught not to talk with my mouth full. I was shown how to write thank you notes."

    You said it, girl! It's like there IS no proper protocol being taught anymore - it's just a free-for-all.

    It's ironic you posted this today because I was talking to someone at work yesterday, and we were mentioning this same thing; saying, "Where has all the manners and protocol gone in this country?"

    Again, thank you so much sharing this. It NEEDED to be said.

    Have a super day......XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Ron!

    It is really sad, but it does seem that America is going to hell in a hand basket. I would say that parents must have decided that it was easier just to let their kid's go wild than to really teach them. This can't be the case though. When one observes others doing what is right, doesn't it almost have to make them stop and think... and then CHOOSE not to do so in kind? Oh well... the only one I'm responsible for is me. AND my family.

    Happy Wednesday!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete