Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Like Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend - Harry Potter, the Final Movie

The last of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2,  was released on July 15th. I'm not one to rush straight to the theatre when a movie comes out just because I hate lines, people chattering, and folks I don't know being close up on me in the theatre. I have waited until tonight to go see the ending to one of my favorite stories of all time. After work, Stump and I will be meeting some friends for dinner and then heading to the cinema.

This is going to be a bitter-sweet evening. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the loose ends tied up. I am also sad that this will be the end. I've enjoyed watching Harry, Hermoine, and the Weasley children grow up before my eyes. I've come to love Dobby and Hagrid. I have loved watching the vivid imagination of J.K. Rowling come to life on the screen.  Today I feel like I am saying goodbye to some very dear friends.

As old as I am, I know that it is silly of me to feel this way about a movie. Sometimes the characters in those movies are so strong and leave such an impact that they will never be forgotten. Those movies are few and far between. Those are the movies that become classics.

That same statement can be made about our friends. Sure there are many that come into our lives only for one or two scenes. We enjoy those relationships for what they are, and when they end we move on. But sometimes there are those friends who enter your life and change your entire world. Those are the friends that are there year after year, problem after problem. Those friends are the classics.

I am fortunate to have some of those classics in my friend library. Those are the friends I can't see too many times. They are just like a good movie that you love so much you have to buy it to put on your shelf so that you can see it any time you want.

And then you watch those movies over and over and over again.

I love you guys.


"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."


— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)


"It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends."


— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)


"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."


— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)


XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Ironic that you posted this today because I read a similar post on someone else's blog yesterday.

    Can you believe, not only have I not read the books but also not seen any of the movies? I know, I should be shot!

    This was how I was with the Sex and the City series. I didn't watch it at all while it was on HBO, but ended up watching the first movie after the series was over and fell in love with it. So, I went back and rented the entire SIX seasons and watch them. I MISS that show, so much!!! However, the last SATC movie was HORRIBLE!

    I LOVE you analogy about your friends being like old movies. That was BRILLIANT!

    "They are just like a good movie that you love so much you have to buy it to put on your shelf so that you can see it any time you want."

    A-MEN!

    Great post, girl!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ron!

    I must have my e.s.p. working this week. Two incidents in two days of posting similar posts!

    I was the same way with SATC. I never watched it on HBO, but when I saw the movie, I had to get caught up with the rest of it. I LOVE IT! I wish they would bring the show back.

    I'm sure you can tell how much I cherish my friends by all the sentimental analogies that I post. I'm a sap when it comes to my buddies and would do anything in the world for them. They make life worth living!

    (((Huggs)))

    ReplyDelete