Thursday, June 2, 2011

Write Brothers Memorial, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina

While in the Outer Banks, Stump and I visited the Wright Brothers Memorial

This is where aviation began:
Orville and Wilbur Wright were the first to fly on this site in Kill Devil Hills



The memorial at the top of the hill marks the place that Orville and Wilbur began their first flight...

... on this contraption.

I'm very adventurous, but to be the first person to fly this thing is just insane.

Walking up the hill to the memorial

We made it to the top

The memorial up close
Inside the museum

The Wright Brothers gave us so much that we take for granted now. Those flights helped to develop the technology for airplanes as we know them today, as well as the technology for space craft. This in turn, through NASA,  gave us the technology for Teflon, Velcro, body imaging scans, satellite television, cell phones, and so many other things that we couldn't live without.

It all started right here, in the Outer Banks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love the Wright Brothers memorial! My friend has a beach house almost literally across the street from it...I always end up getting a cactus stuck in my foot when I go...

    ReplyDelete