Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Solstice 2011, Greensboro, NC

(Above image from Summer Solstice Website)

It is back and I can't wait! Last year, Sage and I had such a great time at the Summer Solstice celebration in Greensboro, North Carolina! This year, it will be held on Sunday, June 19. The celebration will be held at the Greensboro Arboretum. In addition to the Summer Solstice celebration, there will be a Bazaar consisting of one hundred vendors (many more than last year). There will be food and beverage, jewelry, costumes, toys, and crafts as well as many other wonderful things to see.

The Summer Solstice is the longest day of the year and celebrates mid-summer. People are donned in fairy wings and glitter, colorful skirts, tees and tanks. Bring along a blanket, lawn chairs, your juggling balls and hula hoops for a laid back day in the park. Some even bring instruments such as drums, violins, and flutes. Lilly lovers will be right at home in their fun bright prints!

There will be entertainment for the young and young at heart. Dance in the grass with bare feet with the children as they blow bubbles and play with jump ropes. There will be many musicians to keep a beat going! Stop and watch the bellydancers perform. Maybe even watch the acrobats do some amazing slow-motion poses.

Be sure to check out the official picture gallery. Last year I didn't bring my camera (duh) and got these few pictures on my Blackberry. Their gallery gives you a MUCH better feel of the place!

I am leaving you with some photos from last year's Summer Solstice celebration. Have any of you ever attended one of these celebrations? I'd love to hear your stories!




















2 comments:

  1. Thanks for covering & supporting the Solstice! We hope you enjoyed it as much this year - we believe it was the BEST one yet! (I stumbled upon your blog from the Carnivale page...enjoy the event!)

    Shine on!
    Carley Sassmann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Carley! We did enjoy this year's Summer Solstice just as much, if not more. I blogged that too! I remembered to bring my camera this year so that post is a little better.

    If you are going to Carnevale, I hope you have a blast!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete