Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Summer Solstice!

Today is Summer Solstice, the first day of summer, the longest day (and shortest night) of the year. This is also known as Midsummer, a time of magic. To thwart evil spirits, garlands of flowers and herbs are worn. I don't buy into the whole thwarting of spirits, but it is fun to attend the festivals. A Summer Solstice celebration was held in Greensboro on Sunday at the Arboretum, and Sage and I put on our Midsummer garb and headed south.

The Greensboro Arboretum is in Lindley Park. It is seventeen acres of beautiful plants, sculptures, trails and bridges. The landscape is breathtaking.


Sage and I set up "camp" under a few trees inside the park. We dropped off the blanket, chairs, and cooler and would return later, after exploring and taking pictures in the area.

After settling in, we snapped a few pictures before the crowds started to show up. When the festival is in full swing, it is impossible to get pictures without other people in the background.




After posing for pictures, Sage and I walked around the bazzaar, looking for interesting vendors and trinkets. Here is some of what we found:
(Sage and my old friend, Seker)

We went back to our "camp" and Sage entertained me with his juggling skills. I took video!


I also took video of the belly dancers. The video was too large to upload though. I did try!

We had a great time at the Summer Solstice Celebration in Greensboro, NC, and can't wait to get back there next year!

Do you have any celebrations planned for Summer Solstice? I'd love to hear!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a fun day!! happy summer solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have a wonderful time! Happy Summer Solstice to you too. It's always good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Summer Solistic!

    OMG...how fun and festive this looks!

    LOVE the various vendors, selling their goods. I adore those brass Tibetan chime bowls. I tried using them a couple of times and the sound that came out of them was amazing!

    Great photos of you and Sage. You make a lovely couple.

    Have a grrrrreat Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ron - Happy Summer Solstice!

    We had the BEST time there. You would have loved it, I'm sure.

    A quick little FYI... We aren't a couple. Just a couple of bffs. You rarely see one of us without the other. Thanks for the compliment though ;)

    ReplyDelete