Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Discover Scuba with Boots and Bear

My husband, Stump, and I have been hounding my two best friends to start scuba diving with us. For the past year we have hinted, bitched, coaxed, and teased them. Boots has gotten much more badgering than Bear. She prevented us from diving at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle beach two weeks ago by not getting certified before we went. You can read a bit about that HERE. It was so much fun fretting her about keeping us from diving. More fun than the dive would have been.

Last week, Boots and Bear finally gave up and jumped in. They took the "Discover Scuba Diving" course that is offered by PADI through dive shops and resorts all over the world.

J.D. Emerson, who is a PADI Master Scuba Diver from BC Xtreme Sports in Danville, Virginia, was their instructor. He was assisted by my husband, a PADI Dive Master. I was there to record the whole thing on (digital) film.
Boots is excited to get in the water

Stump giving Bear a short briefing before getting in the water

J.D. Emerson, Bear, and Boots get ready to put on their gear

Bear is breathing under water for the first time!

Boots learning to trust the equipment

She's doing quite well

J.D. teaching skills to Bear 
Boots, an unidentified air tank (whom I *think* was supposed to be Bear), and me - This is one of the photos that have gotten my underwater camera confiscated from my husband's clutches permanently.

Stump, me, Boots, J.D., and Bear - all still alive and well.

Scuba has become one of my husband's and my favorite things to do. There is nothing that can describe the peaceful feeling one gets when under water, surrounded by aquatic life. If you have ever wanted to try scuba, the Discover Scuba Diving class is an inexpensive way to see if that is something you would enjoy. You can then take it as far as you like.

In the Danville area, give J.D. Emerson a call. His website is HERE. Too far from southside Virginia? Check the PADI website for an instructor near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment