Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You're What Keeps Rhythm In My Life

Tuesday nights are usually DVD nights with my friend, Sage. Not this Tuesday. The husband and I are attending a birthday dinner of another friend instead. I was talking to Sage on the phone a little while ago, and he said to me that not coming over tonight was going to throw him off balance. He, like I, have gotten used to the routine of kicking back on my couch watching DVDs, snacking, having a glass of wine or a beer, and just hanging out together. "You're what keeps rhythm in my life", Sage said to me.


Some of us take life's rhythm seriously, I am one of those who never gave it much thought. We all need routines to keep us balanced. Going to work at a specific time, having dinner at a certain place, or even reading a few chapters of a good book before bed, gives us comfort. Having a day set aside to do your shopping, or even a particular grocery store that you always go to, gives stability to an otherwise crazy life. Life's routines, or rhythm, is what keeps us balanced.

What Sage said to me really hit home and triggered this little musing. I told him that I didn't mean to sound like a mushy friend, but that it meant a lot to me that he feels I keep rhythm in his life. His response? "As long as we don't have to listen to Wind Beneath My Wings, we're good." Gotta love it!

Here's to good friends who know how to kill sentimental before it has time to fester!

1 comment:

  1. Yes I can kill any sappy moment *wipes fresh rainbows and happy thoughts off my knife*

    ReplyDelete