Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Scuba Monday

After work I met my husband, "Stump", at JMR Quarry in Blanch, NC for a little diving. This is the first time I have been in the water since early November. The husband has been diving all winter - even with snow and ice on the ground. I just can't stand the cold. The air temperature was a wonderful 90 degrees. The water surface temperature, however, was a very chilly 51. The bottom temperature was even colder at 43 degrees. The visibility wasn't the best the quarry usually offers at around 25 feet.



(JMR Quarry, Blanch, NC)

Our plan included nothing more than a slow, relaxing, scenic dive. It was probably a good thing too. I had buoyancy issues from the moment I got into the water. I was donning a brand new Farmer Jane 7 mil wetsuit, complete with new gloves and a new (incredibly tight) hood and I think that was my main issue. I had 30 lbs of weight and still had to hold a 10 pound rock to get me to sink. After Stump and I hit depth at 71 feet, I was able to relinquish my pet rock and still manage to stay submerged. We had a great 29 minute dive and emerged as "Q" divers. The water temperature caused my camera's lens to fog up, so I didn't get any pictures of the dive yesterday. This picture is from an earlier dive:

(Stump and I at JMR Quarry)

After the dive, we headed to Bentto Japanese Express for dinner with a couple of friends. Bentto has the best (IMO) Japanese food in town. We ate, we chatted, and we made ourselves miserable from over consumption.


Finally we headed home for a shower and a little relaxation in front of the TV. The History Channel kept us entertained until it was time for bed.

What a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment