Monday, April 11, 2011

Clarksville Wine Festival

Saturday morning, my husband, Stump, and I got up, made our way to breakfast at Subway, then headed to Clarksville, VA for the Clarksville Lake Country Wine Festival. We would be meeting four of our friends there. It was a dreary, cool, and wet day, but we were determined to enjoy ourselves. And we did!

The gates opened at 12:00. We were each given a commemorative wine glass and a phamplet outlining earch of the wineries as well as some of the local businesses. We were greeted by numerous wineries with bottle upon bottle of wines to sample. 


After sampling several wines from various wineries, we purchased a couple of bottles of wine and found a place to sit down and enjoy.


As I have told you in a previous post, all of my friends have nic-names :)

(From left to right: Elvis, Stump, and Lucky, - Stump is covering his eyes once more. I swear he has eyes.)

(Angel, Slider, and I are all smiles about the wonderful wines)

We bought several bottles to take home, two of which are note-worthy: 

Above, Sergeant Anderson's Red from Tomahawk Mill Winery, VA. Pictured on the bottle is Sergeant James Anderson, who built Tomahawk Mill. Anderson was a Sergeant with Robert E. Lee in Appomattox, VA. You can read more about him and the Tomahawk Mill winery HERE. Stump and I have visited this winery, which is only a few miles from our home. It is a small winery, but with it's small size, there comes a personal side that can't be experienced at the larger wineries. I highly recommend touring if you are ever in the area.

"Kiss the Devil" is a chili pepper wine from Peaks of Otter Winery. This isn't your everyday wine, as you can imagine. Tasters are given a sticker to wear with pride after tasting to prove that they survived the incredibly hot concoction:

Stump bought one bottle of "Kiss the Devil" to take home, I bought a bottle of my favorite wine, "Our Dog Blue", and a bottle of Stump's favorite, "Sweet Mountain Laurel" from Chateau Morrisette Winery on the Blue Ridge Parkway, to take to Lucky and Slider's Lake House in Clarksville. I will be blogging about our visit to their vacation home soon.
We had a wonderful time at the Clarksville Lake Country Wine Festival. There are few things that can top a good glass of wine and a group of great friends.

2 comments:

  1. OK, Hate that I missed the Wine Festival, but, as we all know...2-year old...'nuff said. Anyway, LOVE the bag (the pink one) AND your scarf!!! I'm tellin ya girl, you are just becoming quite the fashion diva! That wouldn't happen to be a Lilly Pulitzer now would it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I hate that you missed it too! We did have a wonderful time. Maybe Danville's Wine Festival on April 30? I'm going :)

    It seems that you know your Lilly! Both the bag and the scarf are Lilly Pulitzer. It was nice having such bright colors on such a gray day.

    ReplyDelete